Sunday, April 28, 2013

Broken Trust

Patrick's grounded for breaking my trust this morning.  My rule is that he's not allowed to go outside or to a neighbor's house while I'm sleeping.  He woke up at 6, and around 7:45 I woke up because the cat was pawing at my door.  I never latch the door, so I know Patrick had been around.  I called to him to open the door (so I wouldn't have to move my lazy, don't-want-to-get-up-yet butt out of bed).  When he didn't answer, I went looking for him.  I found him next door.  He's now grounded for a week.

Grounding in my house means he has to spend the time on his bed when he's home.  He can have one  non-electronic toy and as many books as he wants.  I don't really think it makes much of an impression on him though.  He makes all kinds of excuses to come out.  Water.  Toilet.  Hugs.  Food.  More food.  More food.  What's that on tv....Let's go to baseball practice, time for tutoring!  Music class is tonight!

Unfortunately, at some point today, he manged to get my good scissors.  And he cut up a pencil, his deodorant, and the stem from his deodorant.  Then he carved on the bed's headboard.  It's a good thing he was brushing his teeth when I found out because I was able to calm down a bit.  I sat there waiting for him, looking at the toys scattered on the floor.

What the heck was I doing while he was so busy?!  I mean, I watched tv, I made rice pudding, I was on the computer for a bit.  Seriously though.  Is my Mom Radar broken?!

Well, I explained to Patrick that he broke my trust this morning and it's important that he follow that rule because it's a safety issue.  Then I explained that in the 40 years my headboard has been around, I never, ever carved it with scissors.  To make more of an impression, I told him that the next day would be spent in the corner while he's home.  Somewhere I can keep track of him, but where he can't watch tv.  Maybe in the kitchen.  Is it good or bad that he has school and then tutoring tomorrow?  It'll be about an hour or so in the corner.  I haven't decided if he'll eat supper there.  I suppose I'd better have him sit at the table.  <sigh>


Lazy Single Mom

p.s. He'll clean up the bits of deodorant all over the floor once it dries a bit.  Hopefully it won't smear.  The cleaning ladies have another 28 days before they come again.  Oy.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like life in my house honey! Hang in there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, only the school social worker and my mom have told me the grounding is too long for a kid this age. My mom added that I have to start getting up at the same time he does, come down hard every (EVERY) time he does something wrong, and watch/hear his every move.

    The journey continues.

    ReplyDelete