Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Proud Mama

It's sad to say, but I'm so used to Patrick struggling with most things that it took me by surprise the other day when he wrote an essay.

He met his new resource teacher who will work with him for the next two years.  He got the chance to stay after school to help clean her room. 
.......He loves cleaning.  Just not picking up and putting away. But give him a roll of paper towels and cleaner and he'll be busy for an hour!....
When I picked him up from school, I got to meet Mrs. L and she was very friendly.  She gave Patrick a "magic notebook" with a red cover.  She asked that he write in it over the weekend.
 
I thought this would be very tough to do because of his struggles with handwriting and he missed a lot of instruction for writing paragraphs.  I told him Sunday to write at least a page and he could choose whatever topic he wanted.  So he took the book and disappeared for a while. 
 
I almost cried when I saw what he wrote.  It was two pages long about Club Penguin and puffles.  He wrote neatly and with correct punctuation and capitalization.
 
Mrs. L wrote back asking what are puffles, what do they look like, and what colors are they.  She drew a great picture too.  It was a neat way to get him to expand his descriptions of puffles.  Patrick had already written a response to her and drew about 10 pictures of puffles, and they all had different characteristics.
 
The next morning I got up and he was coloring each puffle a different color.
 
So proud of him!! 
 
 
* Mrs. L wrote another response today but he didn't have time to work on another entry because he did homework for about two hours tonight.  That's past my cutoff.  He had only 45 minutes to do as he wished before bed.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome!! I started a book called "Can Inspirations" that we keep in the bathroom at our house. It's a simple notebook where we can write things back and forth to each other within the family. I was really hoping TT would get involved and it'd be a non-threatening way for him to write more.
    So far, he's quite uninterested.

    I think it's awesome he'll have the same resource teacher for two years. Building a longer relationship like that will really help Patrick I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete